The Mosquito has Landed

Braiding Hair

Braiding Hair

Sorry everyone for my lack of postings this week! The internet has been down, so despite my best efforts, I have not been able to post. So, I will try and catch you up quickly. I guess I should start by letting you know that I have Malaria. My roommate and I both have a case of it.  I must say that as miserable as malaria is, the treatment for malaria is even worse. The medicine has made me sicker than the illness. I am hopefull that the worst of it is behind me. I will get tested again to see if this series of treatment took care of it. The other news this week is that I learned that I will be losing the place I live. My landlord is selling the house, and has told my roommate and I we must be out by January 1st. So, nothing is easy in Africa, but hopefully this week I will get over the malaria and find a place to live.

Oh yes, also, malaria or no malaria the girls at Mattaw still like to play beauty parlor and braid my hair. Just watch out for Gracie though, she usually walks off with a fist full. They dream of getting me in a full set of corn rows, and any time I sit, they immediately start working on it. If I ever take a nap, no telling what I will find when I wake up.

18 Responses to The Mosquito has Landed

1. Lynn B. says:

I hope the medicine worked for you, feel better! Good luck with your hunt for a new place.

2. Bob says:

Prayers being sent your way

3. Al says:

It has been a tough week! Looking at the picture, I would not guess you have (had) malaria. I hope there are better treatments than the quinine used years ago. I bet you will be back on top and ready to find a new house soon. At least you got a month to handle the problem. Will it be possible to get a place that is closer to Mattaw so you can avoid the terrible and dangerous traffic you described earlier?

Hang in there! In 6 or 9 months you will be an old hand at these challenges LOL. Bless you.

Al

• elizabeth says:

Thank you for your encouragement Al. There is actually a women involved in ministry here who had to be placed on a quinine drip last month! It was very scary. Maybe we could just outlaw driving all together. Amazingly, Kenyans go threw more extensive training than Americans for their drivers license. It’s just they have trouble enforcing the law.

4. Karen says:

Cute photo and I am glad you are feeling better.. Your in my prayers for a new place.

5. LM says:

My, what sweet little girls, all four of them!
    Lilly

6. Amelia says:

I’m so sorry you’re ill! I hope you heal very quickly.

7. Nance says:

so sorry to hear of the illness and having to find a new place to live. I am sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts that these and all things are accomplished and easily solved in the near future. And that Gracie quits pulling your hair! Now! : )

• elizabeth says:

Thank you Nancy! I am doing much better today. Lol, poor little Gracie, sometimes I think someone needs to tell her in Swahili reason why no one wants to play beauty parlor with her.

8. LM says:

WOW, I just clicked on “About Mattaw” in that line up there with “Daily Blog” and was thrilled with SO many great pictures and videos. I have been sitting here an hour enjoying.
    You work hard and then you share with us. Thank you for everything you do. Awesome~
    Lilly

9. Frannie says:

I’m so sorry you’ve been ill, but glad that you’re feeling better. I’ll be praying for you to get your health back and find a new place to live. What you do is so special, Honey. God bless you.
    Frannie

• elizabeth says:

I just want to have a house so I can get back to work and don’t have to be so distracted by all of this! I’m not worried about it, just frustrated. Thank you for your prayers, I really need them now.

10. Robert Oswald says:

Best wishes in your work. Had you taken anti-malarial preventive drugs?

Robert

• elizabeth says:

Sorry, my internet connection has been really bad this week so I haven’t been answering comments.

Yes, believe it or not, I was taking doxycycl 100mg. I talked to the pharmacist here and he just laughed at me. He told me “preventative drugs just keep the levels of the parasite in your blood low; they don’t actually prevent it.”